Absence and Performance Management
Sickness absenteeism, whether short or long term, can have as significant impact on any business, in terms of costs, productivity and additional burden on other employees and colleagues. This one-day course is designed to provide managers and supervisors with the skills and confidence required to deal effectively with employee absence, while maintaining a positive and productive working environment.
Who the course is for
This course is suitable for any line manager and supervisor who are involved in the management of, sickness absence in their teams. This course shows how both short and long-term absences can be managed proactively to promote employee health and wellbeing, boost business performance and reduce financial strain.
By the end of this session you will understand the need for balancing the health and welfare needs of staff with robust and fair procedures which ensure employees don’t take advantage of unclear policy is essential for the overall productivity of a workplace.
Strategies for reducing sickness absence assist the organisation as a whole and lead to improved motivation, reduced stress and healthier working teams.
- What is absenteeism and what causes it and the impact of the business
- Identifying patterns of short-term absence and differences in approach to long term absence
- Benefits of an absence policy and trigger points
- Line manager skills, consistency, communication and fairness
- Statement of Fitness for Work (the fitnote) and medical evidence
- Absence management and the legal landscape: maternity issues; fit notes; unauthorised absence;
- Return to work interviews and keeping in touch days
- Dealing with short and long term sickness absence and setting triggers
- How to manage long-term absence. Keeping in-touch and access to medical records
- Identifying potential stress & mental health issues
- disability discrimination; reasonable adjustments; discipline and dismissal,– what you can and can’t do and what resources are available.
- Support and promoting employee health and wellbeing